I have been looking forward to July. I knew once the calender turned over the July 1, things would slow down for us. However, with less on the calendar it opens up more time to accomplish the projects around the house that have been severely neglected. I enjoy being productive so I feel quite refreshed by crossing things off my July To-Do list.
We had a nice retreat away in a cute house by the lake with some friends for a couple days. Then off to my parents to pick up Hudson, who stayed there while we retreated. He LOVES "Pa and Gamma" and "the farm". I didn't really grow up on a farm but sometimes there are cows behind our house and horses at the end of the driveway...and then my dad does have a tractor...but other than that it's just a great house out in the country with a good ol' porch swing and a whole bunch of quiet, which is nice. Hudson loves to make a big pond and splash through it, sit on the swing, check out the tractor, pick the dried up hedge apples out of the trailer, and pull the wagon around the property. This trip they created a whole town in the basement with tape roads. There was an airport, a zoo, a farm, and a field. There were tunnels and hills, and bridges. Pretty impressive! While we were there we picked up some weathered wood.
We brought the wood back and created a quick and easy headboard. I love changing up the look in my home and we sold the other headboard/foot board combo, so we needed something. Ryan has become quite handy. I think my dad is teaching him well.
July has also been slated as the month to figure out baby girl's room situation. Now is the time that I have a bit more energy, can still move, and I'm not quite as large as a house yet. So off we went to one of my very favorite spots in KS...the West Bottoms of KC. The area is booming with vintage furniture and vintage finds. The furniture is usually painted to give it a fresh look...I LOVE IT. I love most all things rustic and farmhouse. I like to combine that style with new pieces in our home creating a very warm, welcoming, comfortable environment in of course the colors of fall. Oh fall, I can not wait for you to arrive. Whoops, off topic. So we found THE dresser that will double as baby girl's changing table (the old) and hit Target on the way home and picked up a white crib (new). See how that works. :) There are new stores popping up in the West Bottoms every time I visit. I had no idea but it was the opening weekend for Brocante's Bliss, which is where we found the dresser. So great if you are into vintage...which I am. Pics to come when the room is finalized.
Then there was the day that there was a giant wildfire a block from our house...I could see the smoke from my deck. The wind was moving the fire away from us to the north, but I still calmly began to gather items in case we needed to evacuate. I asked Hudson to get his shoes on and told him that when daddy got home we would be getting in the car. By the time Ryan got home for lunch the fire was under control and the firemen said there was no concern for our neighborhood. However, then the battle was with Hudson who was very upset that we were not getting in the "big car" to go for a ride. I was very encouraged though at the network of neighbors that we have who look out for each other. One stopped by and one called to see what the plan was. Another in a neighborhood over called as well. We may not live in the nicest neighborhood in town but we have really great, caring neighbors. Oh, and it was a fried squirrel that caused the giant fire. It bit into the power line, caught fire and fell into the hot dry grass.
And then Ryan taught Hudson to say, "Mommy, I need to poop." I'm not ready to tackle potty training, but good to know, son. It's been a good month so far!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
West Bottoms! Thank you. I knew of this area but couldn't remember the name. I haven't been there, but sure I would enjoy it.
I love that headboard and want to make it for Will's room! Did he just stain pieces of wood and attach them separately to the wall or actually attach them to each other and create one big piece? I need a tutorial...guest blog by Ryan when he creates one for Will? Yes? :)
The headboard is one piece. The boards are not stained but rather left weathered and rustic. For Will's room, you may want a smoother finish. He attached each board to two vertical boards that help support the weight of the headboard as well as screwed it into studs in the wall in a few spots. :) Hope that helps!
Post a Comment