Wednesday, July 18, 2012

So here's my plan...

If I must live in Kansas, I am going to need a summer home...elsewhere. It is currently hotter in KS than it is in San Antonio, TX. It might be hotter than the sun, I'm not sure. It's really not that I hate summer. I just hate summers in Kansas. Summers in Seattle were fine. Summer in Colorado was fine. I'm sure summers in the northern most point of Canada are just lovely. Summer time and house bound just shouldn't go together. I could go on and on, but I won't. My complaining won't change the fact that it will still be 107 tomorrow and we'll be bouncing off the walls.

So on to happier and less sweaty subjects...I purchased fabric today to make baby girl's curtains for her room. Her room is partly dreamt up in my head and mostly inspired by pinterest. I seriously love pinterest. We have the major furniture pieces in place and now comes the part where we get to layer in the textures, tones, and finer details of the room and watch it all come together. Having been on a "spending on extras" hiatus, which encompasses all things home reno and home decor, this has been very exciting. We are still on the spending hiatus, but we will only have a baby girl once so we are purchasing a few pieces. I could go on a spending spree to create the perfect space in my mind's eye, but we are being very careful about finding the absolute best deals out there and spreading out the purchases to make it easier on the budget. I'll be excited to reveal the budget friendly room upon it's completion. No peeking...

Hudson's language is growing by leaps and bounds and he is now much easier for others to understand as well. I understand "Hudson-speak" pretty fluently, but realize others don't when they look to me to translate. Can I be considered bi-lingual now?

He seems to be particularly smart when it comes to directions. For probably the past 6-8 months he has been able to tell you how to get to Charlie's house. He knows where different friends live and will protest if we are nearby and don't turn down a particular street that leads us to their house. He knows how to get home from our most routine stops and starts talking about different places before we get there based on where we may be driving in town. I have to give him a run down of the errand itinerary as we head out or he will make up his own mind about where we are going and protest all my turns, stops, and the directions I go. If we went a particular way once, he will remember it and tell me to go that way so that we can go to xyz, whatever that may be. The other night we just went out for a "drive" and it might have been worse than being cooped up in the house. It was hard for him to grasp that we weren't really going anywhere and it didn't matter where we turned or if we went down the same street twice. Oh my lands, just look out the window!

He loves Thomas the Train, looking at fish and other animals, playing in water of any kind, doing "jumps, bounces, flops, and hawks" on the couch (I'm still trying to decipher what makes the "hawk" a hawk...so far my best guess is that it is mostly a flop with a bit of worm crawling action at the end of it), going to see Charlie or Bella, going to see trains, catching trucks on the road (by driving from behind up next to them), finding planes and helicopters in the sky, trying to annoy and beat the snot out of Mavie, spitting and/or spitting noises, burping and tooting, milk, wrestling with daddy, and running. He still hates eating and having his pants changed. He most recently hates discussing using the potty and denies if he is pooping or has pooped. He will tell you, "It's okay. No poop. It's all gone. It's okay." I'm not sure where he thinks the poop went, but every time I've checked...it's in his pants. He also gets super embarrassed/angry if he falls down and anyone saw or says anything about it. Don't ask if he's okay. Don't even look at him. It. Never. Happened. Unless, of course, he is seriously hurt and crying his eyes out.
Here he is at his first ever movie theater experience. The Legends in Kansas City has free kid movies on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the summer at 10:00am. I had forgotten about it for most of the summer, but we made it this week. We really wanted daddy, who's the one who really loves movies, to go with us but that would have been hard to do. He liked the really big TV, but sat in my lap the whole time as he wasn't sure about the rest of it. I think next summer he will really love it and maybe he'll be heavy enough to hold the seat down. It tended to fold him in half. :)




1 comment:

Michelle said...

I always love your posts but am particularly in love with this one! Haven't taken Will to a movie theater experience yet but will look into the Legends free movies for sure!