If you are a lady with a baby (LWAB), like myself, then you need to take a break. ESPECIALLY if you are a work your arse off from home lady with a baby (the term "stay at home" doesn't even tell the half of it so I am boycotting that term for the moment). I know we love our little guys/gals but seriously I am such a better LWAB (I'm not say the m-word yet...maybe when he says it I will...until then it's LWAB) when I get some much needed time out of the house. I mean after all we were actual people with lives before we became LWABs...before we became responsible for keeping another human alive, eating, entertained, and learning each and every day, right? I am always reminded of this when I actually take that break and come back refreshed, energized, ready to build another block tower, and get him to eat food with chunks in it.
Last night I got to go out with the girls (well I was actually dressed and ready to go at 2:00 b/c I was so excited). We got dolled up, ate at good ol' PF Changs on the Plaza, and went to see Shrek the musical. It was a fantastic evening of good food, conversation and laughter. I LOVED it. It was absolutely refreshing to be out doing things that make me feel like my old self, doing the things I love to do...you know, wearing heels and my great grandma's fabulous faux fur coat, eating food at my own pace, going to see a broadway performance and my favorite thing...laughing. I love laughing! Shrek was quite funny!
Today I took a couple hours and headed out to do another one of my favorite things which is to look for wonderful treasures at thrift stores and antique shops. I have my favorite places here in Lawrence to scope out. The Locust Street Marketplace is the best "antique" shop I have ever been to...there are some real junkie places out there. LSM is nothing like it. They have such great stuff for reasonable prices and it's always changing. Today I scored a huge wood picture frame with no glass or anything and I have already hung it on my wall. I also got a really old scale of some sort that just looks cool and a few hooks. Then I hit the Salvation Army which is when the real treasure hunting begins! My best find of the day was a Webster's Dictionary that is at least 6 inches thick from 1959...it is the coolest looking old book and it was only $1.99. Ryan was just saying we should put out books that make us look smart...I think that qualifies! I also snagged a very nice, made in Italy serving platter also for $1.99, some new in package gift boxes, a loaf pan and another baking pan, and a kstate shirt. I felt very accomplished with all my finds...very satisfying.
Doing something that I truly enjoy and connecting to who I am is necessary...it's like breathing fresh air. So schedule that break. You know, you have to schedule it or it won't happen. Go on...get dolled up (or at least shower) and head out to the bookstore for the evening, or go grab a drink with friends, or go to the mall and figure out what is in style since you last left the house. Do whatever brings a smile to your soul. Everyone in your life will be thankful you did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Tiffany - I look forward to hearing about the books that you read. I'm always looking for a good author. Not sure what you style is but I like mystery and political fiction books. Just finished a book by Harlan Coben titled Play Dead. I read it in one day. Just couldn't put it down. Some other authors that I like are David Baldacci and Vince Flynn. If you read any of those, read in order of publication.
As always, I love reading your blogs.
I am not a LWAB, however I also enjoyed our night out on Thursday and think they are so important for my sanity also.
also not a LWAB, but we enjoy the same places for sure! glad to go with you anytime you want to go "thrifting!" i would definitely be intimidated by your intelligence if i saw a giant dictionary sitting out on your coffee table. i snatched up a big old copy of Gray's Anatomy from our school library giveaway for much the same reasons.
Post a Comment