Monday, September 10, 2012

Seattle Trip: Ahhhh...

I owe you lots of blogs from the past month of activities! Let's start way back with a follow up from my SOLO trip to Seattle. What a fabulous time with no one's schedule to follow except my own. Instead of flying down and back as quickly as possible for the wedding, I tacked on a few extra days and made a vacation out of it. :)

As you know, we sold our cars to pay down debt and bought Gramps, our green-gold-taupe family ride. So when I picked up my rental car, I was pleasantly surprised when I had my pick of 4 small SUVs. I snagged the pretty Jeep Liberty! My vacation was off to a smashing start. :) Bye-bye Gramps, hello Liberty.


The weather was gorgeous!! Sunny, 30 degrees cooler than KS, NO HUMIDITY, no bugs...as summer should be. After spending a little bit of time walking around the beautifully shiny, clean, and oh so pretty Bellevue Square, I stopped in at the Lodge for a coffee and some reading! Reading!! I haven't done that for over a year! I read some great books. I am hoping to dedicate a separate post to the most recent reads.

Day 2, my friend Karen and I hit up thrift stores and vintage shops in the Capitol Hill, Fremont, and Ballard areas of Seattle. This is not something I had ever really done while I lived in the Seattle area, so it was great to experience something new! I found some great stuff and managed to squeeze it all into my suitcases at the end of the trip. :)

Day 2 also included the wedding of my very dear friend, Heather. It was probably the best wedding I have ever been to. It was so authentic without a lot of pomp and circumstance. It was a perfect representation of the couple and so refreshing. It was set outside in a family friend's giant backyard on a perfect evening. The vows were personal, funny, and genuine. I bawled through the entire thing. One of our favorite touches was the taco truck that backed up and did the catering for the evening! Loved it. It was so good to be able to be there to be a part of Heather and Jason's day. It was very special.

Next up: day 3! My friend, Karen, and I hit the road to the WA coast. This is again something that I didn't get a chance to do while living in Washington. I was so excited to go experience yet again something new! Karen and I have a friend that opened a bookstore in the quaint (and new) little seaside town of Seabrook, WA. The pics were all so cute that we just had to go.


The town literally sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean. There are lots of paths and trails down to the beach. It was pretty cloudy when we were there. I guess it is known as "Fogust" during the month of August. The town is made up of beautiful cottages, some cute little shops and parks. Everyone was riding around on cute little coastal bicycles.


We spent a little time exploring the town, hiking down to the water, reading, sampling the local foods, and just relaxing for a couple days.



Day4: I had a chance to meet up another great girlfriend and we chatted the day away, literally! We were together for about 7 hours just catching up. How wonderful to be able to do that without feeling like I needed to get home. So refreshing and good for my soul and well-being.

Day 5: I hopped on a ferry and scooted across the water to the island of Whidbey. I drove about 10 minutes to the little town of Langley. This town has lots of cute little shops and restaurants and it's right on the water. I also got to have lunch with Heather...who was on her honeymoon...so thankful that she made time for me and that Jason didn't mind too much. :) After lunch I hung out on a bench to read by the water but ended up not reading, but just staring out at the water for about 2 hours. How fantastic.


What a great refreshing trip for me. Many thanks to Ryan's parents for coming up to help take care of Hudson while Ryan was working and I was playing. :)

No comments: