"You'd like Tom Brokaw, he's very nice." says my new 89 year old friend, Scottie.
Scottie tracked me down from the Arts & Crafts Fest article in the paper to order some aprons. When I say tracked, I mean tracked. She couldn't locate me on the internet by typing in my personal name, so she called the city, who directed her to parks & rec, who told her I wasn't at the festival...:( She hung up and tried again, spelling my last name for them so they could find my contact information. She tracked me down. And I am so grateful. I got to sit and chat with Scottie for an hour on her patio while Hudson played (beat things with a shovel) in her backyard. We talked about this and that in between wrangling Hudson. She mentions Tom Brokaw and being featured in his book. Then as we are leaving her home, I see pictures of her and President George W. Bush on her wall. So I can not wait to chat with her more the next time we get together, but in the meantime...I googled her. And now I really can't wait to hear more about her life! She worked for the Joint Chiefs of Staff after Pearl Harbor during the war running secret documents from the war department to the White House. She knew about D-day before it happened. What?! Ummmm, hi. I make aprons...sorry, I'm so lame. Seriously though, I hope she will allow me to sit on the patio again and will share more with me about her adventures. I can't wait to hear them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow!! What an amazing story and connection you have made. Maybe she will by aprons for everyone at the White House and you can go hand deliver them.
Um, wow. How incredible! I'm glad she tracked you down, too! :)
This is such a cool story. What a privilege to sit and talk with her! So glad that you are taking more opportunities to get together with her. Hey, she has good taste in aprons, too!
That is crazy! You should ask to see more of her pictures! How awesome. I like Laura's idea, maybe you'll end up making aprons worn by Michelle Obama and Sasha and Malia! Your business will really boom then!
Post a Comment