Friday, March 11, 2011

Francine Rivers

Seriously, if you haven't picked up any one of her books (written post 1986), you need to and you will love it. FR is a FANTASTIC author. She is my favorite. She writes fiction, christian fiction. I just finished Unashamed, which is a quick little read about Rahab, a prostitute who was rescued during the fall of Jericho.

What? The idea of reading christian fiction makes you want to gag? Yeah, I get it. I used to work in a christian book store and I avoided the christian fiction section like the plague. The awful covers with women in prairie dresses and bonnets sent me running the other way. Then one day, I think it was Em who introduced me to Redeeming Love. I was hooked. Then she handed me The Mark of the Lion series and I couldn't put them down. After that I read everything else I could find by her until she took a break from writing complete fiction and did a little series on some of the women in the bible. Well, for whatever reason that turned me off and I am just now checking them out from the library (LOVE that place). They came out 11 years ago...whew...I worked at the bookstore 11 years ago!!??!! I can not believe it has been that long since I was in college. Anyway, these are also proving to be quite good. FR is quite talented and I quite enjoy her. I think you will too.

Side note: Em seems to be one who can get me to try new things when I've set my mind against them. I have her to credit for lots of my favorites...Francine Rivers, the chicken fajita bowl at Chipotle, the sweet onion chicken teriyaki sandwich from Subway, Encore in Lawrence, hanky panky underwear, Pureology hair products, EastLake in Seattle, living in Seattle, moving back to KS with EastLake Lawrence............twilight...........wow! I did introduce her to Anthropologie...so, your welcome.

Side note 2: I ate an ENTIRE loaf of cheese bread today...dipped in ranch...:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your post today!! You are so funny, eating an entire loaf of cheese bread dipped in ranch. I would totally do that!! Sounds sooo yummy! Glad you are enjoying your new author. Miss you! Wendy

Carmen said...

This is a great post! I need/want to read that series of hers...doesn't she now have one about men in the Bible as well? I'm like you...I was instantly turned off by the Bible character path she took.
Glad you're enjoying them!

Erika said...

Wow...where did you get that cheese bread? I want some.

emcox said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I got the cheese bread on the food clearance rack at Walmart. It expired that day which could be my excuse for eating it in a day. :) It was so good and soft and flavorful...I kind of want another one!