Did I mention that our TV broke in the living room which lead us into cancelling our cable? Well it did and we did and I miss Oprah. It's her last half of her last season and the TV crapped out. So far that is the only thing I miss about cable, everything else that we "have" to watch we are catching on hulu. Give me a few months and I might also miss HGTV. In other Oprah related topics...
I keep trying to read books based on Op's recommendations and I'm finding that maybe I'm just not a mature enough reader to handle her favorite books. Say You Are One of Them, I just couldn't get into. Freedom seemed to almost offend me in a weird way. It seems like Franzen's writing style is sort of a "too smart for his own pants" arrogance and it was splattered all over the pages for me to put up with...not my favorite. I didn't care for it and I put it down without regret. I really wanted to like it. The 3rd attempt was The Poisonwood Bible which I read in it's entirety and I am glad that I did. I would say however, it was a little like reading a lazy Sunday afternoon. Kingsolver writes a bit poetically and takes a lot of words and pages to cover a little bit of ground. She writes like a lazy Sunday afternoon...not in much of a hurry to get anywhere and all the time in the world to take in what is going on right in front of her. It was very interesting to be placed in the Congo during the 1960's which was a scary time politically for that area. I appreciate a glimpse into that part of the world and what life might have been like during that time.
Even though I haven't loved these selections, I am excited about broadening my horizons as a reader and picking up books that I never would have in the past. Oprah is currently reading Dickins...I'll attempt it this year, but maybe not as my next pick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment