Monday, December 20, 2010

Tiffany's (Not Oprah's) Favorite Things

I do love the Oprah's favorite things show! It's just such a party and the people are so dang happy and excited. I'm not giving anything away but thought I could share a few of my favorite things.

10. DR. PEPPER...it's my favorite beverage of choice, except when pregnant then it tasted like vanilla toilet water. I'm not a coffee drinker b/c that, my friends, is like drinking bad breath. When I worked an 8-5er I had to have one at 7:30 to start my day and now that I work a 24/7er, I would like to have 5 a day but I am trying to stick to 1 a day or less. And I'll tell you a little secret, which leads me to my next favorite thing. The best Dr. Pepper's in the USofA are from...

9. McDONALD's! "Ew, gross" you say...but anyone who says "ew, gross", I think secretly LOVES it and are too ashamed to admit it. I love the BE&C McGriddle...so good! I love the Dr. Pepper and it's only $1 and I don't have to get me and the H-man out of the car to get one b/c as everyone who totes any number of kids around knows...drive thru's are a girl's best friend. If the whole world were drive thru's, I would get so much done and I would still get out of the house! I also love the McChicken Sandwich, also only a buck. So I can have a meal for $2.18 with tax. Other items I highly recommend are the fruit and yogurt parfait and the bacon egg and chz biscuit...delish.

8. Any "I can't put it down" type of BOOK. For instance, The Help was a great read. The Hunger Games were certainly hard to put down so much so I bought only book 3 since I had borrowed the other two to read over Thanksgiving but finished them and HAD to read it before I could get back to town to borrow the 3rd book. Francine Rivers books are also super good, Redeeming Love, The Mark of the Lion series, and any of her other fiction since she became a Christian...the others that she wrote pre-Jesus will make you wonder if it is the same woman. ;) Don't blame me if you end up with a very steamy F. Rivers book from the library...you've been warned. The library is another one of my favorite things (but I'm only doing 10)! I can reserve the books from my computer and then the library lets me know when the books are ready for me to pick up! That's great! And there is an express check out so I don't even have to talk to anyone, which pleases my introvert self. Also, I did ask the lady at the info counter how many books I could check out at one time b/c I was carrying around 5 and she said very loudly, "50!" What?! I could check out 50 books at one time?!! That's so strange, why would anyone need 50 books. Could you really read them all before they are due?

7. CUTE SHOES. I love me some cute shoes! My new job as lady with a baby has me in a bit of a shoe conundrum. I can't find my new section at the shoe store. Stylish yet comfortable enough to chase a crazy little man around the house. You will not see me in tennis shoes unless I am planning on sweating. I can't run up and down the stairs in 4 inch heels...so where is the happy medium? TOMS shoes are a very casual shoe, which I approve of ;), that when you purchase a pair they donate a pair to a child who doesn't have any shoes. I love that!

6. CHANGING MY HAIR STYLE. I like to change the cut and color frequently. A friend once told me that I needed to just find a style I like and stick with it. At the time I agreed but then I got to thinking about it and asked why? Why does it have to stay the same? Does it make people uncomfortable? I don't understand...so I keep it interesting...light, dark, bangs, no bangs, longer, shorter, inverted bob, layered bob...and there is nothing wrong with coloring your hair (while I am feeling all soap boxy, I might as well say it). You know the saying, "If the barn needs painting..." well I believe that not only applies to slapping on a little make up but also brightening up your hair if it needs it. Also when it comes to hair, I LOVE big hair...big poofy hair is my favorite.

5. BUBBLE BATHS. Does anyone besides me still take bubble baths? I don't know, but I love it, especially when I am chilled to the bone. When I was preggo, I took one everyday sometimes twice a day and burnt my bum because of it! I like the water hot!! And before you feel the need to put on your huffy pants about me taking baths while pregnant, I didn't fill it very deep and I have an extremely healthy one year old now...who by the way...loves to take baths! So the only one harmed in my obsessive bathing was in fact, my bum. The bubble baths from Bath and Body Works are super smell-goody.

4. EASTLAKE COMMUNITY CHURCH. When we moved to Lawrence, we were a part of a church launch group. I have met so many incredible people in the past year...more people than I have met in possibly the last 5 years. I am an introvert by nature and if given the chance I would sit at home with one or two friends and never even make an effort to bring others into my life. This year I was pushed farther out of my comfort zone than I have ever been before and that includes teaching classes at the corporate level in my former life. Not only that, but I still get to lead teams, train volunteers, and help people reach their potential. I LOVE THAT!

3. CHAI TEA LATTES from Starbucks are a seasonal favorite. It's a fantastic non-coffee drink that tastes like the holidays and warms your hands and your insides. I just wish we had a drive thru SB here. It's not my favorite to get out into the cold in order to get my warm drink. Strange, I know...

2.BROADWAY SHOWS are such a treat and I love them. I haven't been to NYC for a few years but the next best alternative are the Broadway Across America shows that came to Seattle and also stop in KC. This year I have season tickets to the shows in KC and will be seeing 4 shows! I am super pumped! Grease is one of them and that was my favorite movie growing up. That's when I knew I would marry John Travolta. ;)

1. FAMILY. Today we leave to spend the holiday with my family! We will be baking, doing puzzles, working on a project, maybe even playing a game or two depending on how brave we are feeling, and we will eat holiday goodness until we can't stand it. We will laugh and create new memories that will keep us laughing for years to come. We will watch the babies do their thing and just enjoy each other as we all take over my parents' house.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly we need to hang out more because we have tons of stuff in common. I promise that as soon as you walk into my house, I'll offer you a Dr. Pepper!

(I drink 2 a day. I know. I know. The baby will be fine, right?)

Also, we frequently get close to 50 things checked out at the library. Matt is obsessed with CDs, the boys have books, I have books, and usually a movie or two.

Kelly said...

I am a big fan of most of these things. In fact, I had a BEC biscuit on Sunday after I dropped Michael off but before I had to be there at 10:30. Bwahaha. ;)

If you like bubble baths, have you ever been to LUSH? If not we should totally go at some point. It's like bath mecca...bath bombs, bubble bars, bath melts, massage bars, lotions, soap, etc. The bath bombs in particular change the color of the water and make it fragrant and moisturizing. Luh-uv.

And, at some point I have seriously considered an EastLake growth group trip to NYC for a girl's weekend to see a show and the city. Wouldn't that be the best thing ever...eastlake + broadway?? ;)

tiff said...

The baby will be fine. I got headaches when I was preggo and my dr. said, "you know, a little caffeine will cure that" so I said "OKAY!" and back on the DP I went.
Now, I see the need for the 50 limit...did not consider once Hudson starts checking things out and once Ryan figures out there are movies there.
YES, YES, YES to the gg trip to NYC. Sign me up! I love that idea!
Well, I can't wait to have DP dates, LUSH, and McD dates with you ladies! Bring it on.

Mendy said...

Tiff - we have a lot of favorites in common...caffeine in the form of soda and books especially. I think I'm actually ADDICTED to both. I find myself trying to hide both habits (drinking soda and buying books...just can't bring myself to use the library or Kindle because I love to OWN books) from the suspicious eyes of those who know just how much I abuse both substances!

Ryan said...

There are movies at the library!! Do they have Blu-ray? Do they get new releases?

Just might be your best entry ever babe! My favorite list only has 3.

3. My basement theater room. It can best be described in 1 word. Obscene. It is the single greatest thing I have ever built with my two hands.

2. Maverick. Best little cuddly furball ever.

And the tie for first place on my list goes to:
1. Tiffany and Hudson. Need I say more?