I totally realize that I am 32 years old but sometimes the fact that we are actually grown ups hits me in an unexpected way. This week it has been a teacher/coach that has unintentionally put things into perspective for me. Now, I have teacher friends, like Mendy, who works in a KC school and when I think of her I don't automatically think, "Whoa, we are grown ups." Although, she deals with all kinds of situations that I'm not sure any grown up but her could handle. But as we prepare to head to my hometown for Christmas this year, I've been in cahoots with an old classmate of mine...well he's not that old, same as me...in order to borrow an OLDschool overhead projector from my highschool for a project we will be working on. More to come on the project...but it is such a strange moment for me when I think about the guys in my class that are now the teachers at our old highschool. That's when I think, "Whoa, we are the grown ups and when did that happen!?" The teachers were all so OLD when I was there, even the one who had a baby seemed old. Maybe that's because she wore turtlenecks tucked into her stirrup pants and had a mullet...maybe that's why she seemed old. No, I think some of my teachers were really old, but I think that some might have been our current age and they probably had fun personalities and a life outside of that school. It's always a weird thing when you realize your teachers were actually people...
Side Note: I have been sewing but I can't show you anything b/c they will all be gifts! I'm excited to reveal the ones that I have remembered to take pics of once the holidays are over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So does this mean we have to call ourselves adults now?
i laughed out loud (and so did kirk when i read this to him!) when i read this because:
1. i, too, forget all the time that i'm supposed to be grown up now. i'm still wierded out by the fact that people my age have babies. or not-babies, but actual children that are no longer infants. so strange.
2. i'm picturing awful teacher-sweaters and mullets and so glad that, although my style leaves a lot to be desired, i have yet to purchase any ugly teacher-sweaters, i do not wear country craft-looking necklaces made out of wooden beads, and i do not have "business in the front, party in the back" as kirk likes to call mullets. although the teachers at my school did have an "ugly christmas sweater" contest this week. there was a tie for 1st place between our overweight custodian wearing an uncomfortably tight women's snowman sweater and our business teacher who borrowed a christmas-y cardigan from his mother-in-law (the cardi was much like a crop-top on him...very attractive).
3. i had to laugh at the fact that thinking of me as a teacher does not cause you to think of mature adults! haha! it's so true!
Our teachers were OLD, Tiffany, no doubt we had some old ones..Mrs..whatever her name was, was the exception and she acted and dressed old. That was some mullet!
Post a Comment