I'm here. I just skipped town again and visited my hometown of Beloit. My mom was doing a lot of sorting through things...one of my absolute favorite things to do! There is just nothing like the feeling of purging the old, taking inventory, and getting organized. I love it! So she let me come along for the ride. We purged clothes that we decided are not going to come back in style. (And even if they do come back in style, it's always a slightly different take. Also, I have a rule regarding fashion: "If you did it the first time, don't do it again." Like for me it's stirrup pants, vests, tight-rolled jeans, denim boots, large belts that sit low on the waist, hammer pants...we did find the pattern from which my abundance of hammer pants were made.) We cleaned out 3 large containers of scrap fabric which was waaaay too fun. I found fabric that I could remember wearing, that my cabbage patch kid wore, or that my grandma had a dress out of...it was very neat. Then we moved on to buttons! I learned that back a few years ago, there were no such things as zippers and therefore you never threw away a button. If you were no longer going to keep something you salvaged the buttons. My mom has the button collections from a few people and some of these buttons are at least a hundred years old. We sat on the floor in the hallway for at least an hour looking through buttons. She let me take a few. Mom also let me take a faux fur coat that was my great grandma's. I can not wait to wear it this winter! It's so chic. I will feel quite fancy. I will also think of my great gma and wonder what else we might have had in common other than this fantastic coat...maybe she had a secret love of fashion (mine's no secret)...maybe she was a little too sarcastic...maybe she wanted to live in New York City...maybe we would have thought the same things were funny. Anyway, there was an incredible amount of history at our fingertips...if only the fabric and the buttons could talk.
In other news...Hudson is dancing. He is my son afterall. Normally, I can say "bounce, bounce, bounce" and he does a little jig. Today I was in the backseat of the car with him and I started to do a cheer for him that I learned from the cat in the hat. It goes, "Goooo Hudson! Go Hudson! Go Hudson, Go Go! Go Hudson! Go Hudson! Goooo Hudson, Go!" The actual cheer was for Percy the Penguin while he was racing the bird to the icy mountain or something. Sooo anyway...I was cheering in the backseat and Hudson started chest popping. Makes a mama proud. Bring on the spontaneous dance parties!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Glad that you are back. I've been waiting for the next posting. I enjoyed you sharing about your great-grandmother. I actually knew all of mine and one was into sewing and I have a lot of thread (yes thread) that she had. Not sure why I hold on to it, but it is special to me. Like you, I love fashion (went in to H&M at the Tacoma Mall the other day)and would love to live in NYC part time. Take care.
What fun time with your mom! That is fun to think about what you may have had in common with your great gma. Hope to see the faux fur sometime in the upcoming season!
if Hudson suddenly starts sewing I think Ryan might start to get a little concerned...but, seriously, so cute that you learned a cheer from dr seuss about a penguin and an icy mountain and it inspired Hudson to chest-pop. hilarious.
I love to look back in the backseat and see Cara chest popping..if only she didnt have that harness on! hahaha..love it! My big kids never chest popped in their carseats.
Post a Comment