Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Heart Ache and Home Ec

I had to say good-bye to a really really good friend today. No, she didn't die. She just jumped on a plane and headed back to the land of beauty, 70 degrees, and no humidity. We opted to actually not say "good-bye" but "See ya later", which is both of our preferred methods since good-byes just suck. Well, apparently my heart isn't falling for our "trick", cuz my eyes keep leaking all over the place since we hugged "See ya later" at the stupid airport. She lived with us for the past 10 days and we behaved like we were on vacation. It was quite fun. We went to the waterpark and walked around in our swimsuits like we were five, floated around in our intertubes, and even went down a slide. Then we pretended like we were adults and went to the casino with our $20 to play Jackpot Party and the SATC slots. We ate the fancy casino buffet where I discovered I like spring rolls and she relived her youth by eating way too many fried shrimp. I don't remember the last time I was THAT full. There were a few going away events and a whole lot of ice cream and custard was consumed. We even got really great massages. It went way too fast and now we are way too bloated from all the "vacation" eating we did. Words really can not express what her friendship has meant to me over this really short time but at some point I will sit down and try to express my thoughts in a gushy email since there is no way I could even get the words out in person. I just start blubbering like an idiot. At least with email I can blubber in private. So if you ask me, what I need is a distraction and that is where Home Ec comes in...

Mendy pointed me to a site that has an online Home Ec class and I have signed up for it. We will be working on 26 sewing projects and I am very excited about it. I can go at my own pace b/c it is in blog format and I'll have access to it for a year. I now wish that I had taken Home Ec in high school. However in HS you would have had to drag me kicking and screaming into such a class. I was not about to be a stay at home wife (because, clearly you can't work and have taken a home ec class???)...I was going to be Angela from Who's the Boss with my own advertising agency. I didn't really want to be Angela (I didn't like her flowing blouses and feathery hair) but I certainly was not going to stay at home. Guess I didn't know how cute my little boog would be and that I wouldn't want to miss a moment of his little life.

Speaking of the boog...here he is with my Seattle bound friend, Heather.

3 comments:

Mendy said...

i'm glad you got to have some kid-like and adult-like fun with Heather. And I'm excited to see your projects! What's the first project??

Erika said...

That class sounds fun! What blog?

tiff said...

Freckled Nest is the blog that is offering the Home Ec class. I'm sure it is WAY below your skill level Erika, but you would probably have fun with the projects anyway!
www.frecklednest.com