I've now been a mama for 3 weeks. Feels like longer, probably due to the weird sleep patterns we have right now. We went to the ped dr today for a regular check up and my baby weighs 9 lbs 14 oz! He's over a pound heavier than when he was born! I guess he's getting enough to eat. :)
I feel like I am getting used to repetitive schedule...change the diaper, feed the baby, pump, sleep...and rinse and repeat. I am still on a twice daily shower schedule but the morning one doesn't count since all that one really does is gets my hair wet. The evening shower is wonderful though. Ryan is on evening baby duty and I get to use all the hot water on myself. I feel like that is really the only part of my life that really resembles my life before baby...a long hot shower. So I cherish this time. I am also trying to be really present with him as I am always on to the next thing in my mind. I know he will be growing up so fast and I don't want to miss a minute of it (except for my shower time...those minutes I am going to miss). So I am trying to stop my mind long enough to stare at his little face, notice the many sounds and faces he makes, hold him when I can and not just set him in the swing, kiss his squishy cheeks and hold his little hands.
It is funny at 3 weeks and even before that I can tell some of Hudson's likes and dislikes. He loves a full belly of milk and makes little satisfied sighs after he is done with a bottle. He'd like it if we didn't have to go through the burping ritual afterwards so he could just drift off to sleep. He does not like to sit in a wet or dirty diaper nor does he care to have it changed, but once he is dry and clothed he's a happy camper. He loves gas drops. He loves his hands...they have to be near his face at all times...hence the ongoing battle of fingernails vs face. He likes to stare at the skylights in the ceiling. And when he is hungry, he is hungry NOW...no messin' around.
The first rule I made for myself as a new mama is this: I shall never utter the words, "I can't wait for...when he does this or that". Because when this or that happens it will mean another phase of his life will have passed and I so want to be present and enjoy the moment we are currently in. But I'm not going to lie...I will not complain when I feel less like a hamster on a wheel. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good thoughts. I remember being at a really low point around 3-4 weeks. I thought things like "what have we done?" and I didn't see much light at the end of the intense and sleepless tunnel. Hope you can continue to maintain great perspective (and enjoy your showers).
I enjoy my hot showers and I don't even have a baby. Anything to get through these cold winter days.
Post a Comment