Thursday, August 6, 2009

Everyone Made It!

Not only did Ryan and I and Matt and Em move out to Lawrence so did 4 others from Seattle. Today marks the arrival of the last Seattle-lites to make the trek half way across the country to make their new home in Lawrence, KS. Everyone made it safely and is unloaded into their new homes. There is still a lot of settling in to do but the crew is here. Why, I'm sure you are wondering the others also moved to KS in the summer heat. This crazy group of adventurers have decided to come along side Matt and Em to launch Eastlake Community Church in Lawrence. This is the church we all attended in Seattle and wanted to bring it to the mid-west. It is a church for the rest of us. I had never been to a church that resembled Eastlake Seattle before I walked through the doors. Let me tell you what I found. First of all it is right on with it's theology for any doubters out there. But that I knew going in what I found was complete normalcy when I walked in. In fact, I think Justin Timberlake might have been playing when I walked in. There people in their everyday clothes saying "hey", a coffee and food area, a kid zone (which I didn't really pay attention to, but now I probably should), and plenty of places to sit. Then the freakin' loud music started and it was rockin'. It wasn't so "contemporary christian" like I had experienced elsewhere. It was a little more "with-it" from my perspective. I liked it. Then the pastor got up to talk. He cussed. He was sarcastic. My rebel heart knew it was home. It was normal, everyday people not trying to put on a perfect freakin' face or be something they were not. Finally, honesty, real-ness, no BS. Aaaahhh. I finally fit in somewhere. Not everyone would fit in here, but I do.
So when Matt and Em approached us to tell us they were in fact moving back to a town that they loved to take Eastlake to them so that people there could experience what we had, we said, "sure, sign us up." It was actually easier to say that than to actually do it come to find out, but a long story short...we are here and excited to be a part of this thing. Creating an atmosphere for people to come "kick the tires of Christianity" without feeling weird or out of place. There will be more to come on this topic in the future, be sure of that, but I am happy to report that those who have the vision for this thing are all in Lawrence and are stoked to get this thing rockin'.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so happy you have all made it and can't wait to meet the rest of the crew. See you Tuesday.

Michelle said...

I'm so excited for you all and this adventure! I will be praying. And, if Jason and I ever move to that area, we will certainly come and give Eastlake Community a try. Sounds like a great environment!

Erika said...

Tiff, keep me posted on all of this! Sounds so adventurous! I will ask God to show people in Lawrence who He really is.

Mendy said...

I'm glad everyone else has made it! It was great to meet them all tonight and I hope you guys could all come over for dinner sometime!