Sunday, November 2, 2008

Post from the Past

This one is too good to forget. I am resurrecting this blog post from the archives for my own entertainment and yours...

Original Posting 12/26/2006
Mystery of the Wailing Woman Solved
The wailing woman first scared the crap out of me in Wichita. I say wailing but it is really a yell. I had gone upstairs to go to bed and Ryan was downstairs doing something in the living room. I had fallen asleep when a very loud very audible female yell sent my heart into my neck, eyes WIDE open, and frozen stiff in my dark room. The sound had come from inside and it was very near to me. Now strange things have happened to me in the past and I think most people think that I make things up so I laid there trying to convince myself that I was just hearing things. But then Ryan came running into the room to see WHY I was hollering and what was wrong...NOW I'M FREAKING OUT! I told him that it wasn't me but that it came from inside the room. He thought I had just yelled in my sleep, but I knew that I was awoken by it and I wasn't the one making the noise cuz I have awoken myself by snoring a time or two. Well I didn't go back to sleep for a very long time after that.

So some time passes and we move away from Wichita and are in our new apartment when she hollers again! This time we are both sleeping and she yells very loudly again sending my pulse racing, eyes wide open, frozen stiff. Ryan rolls over and pats me on the shoulder and tells me that "It's okay, I'm here, You are having a bad dream." Again, I say "That wasn't me! I heard it and it wasn't me!" But now I'm not so sure...maybe it is me and I just don't realize it. What kind of weirdo just wails in her sleep? How freaky is that?! This time I decide to tell my sister about it so that someone else is aware of this strange-ness. I've either got a wailing woman that followed us to seattle or I am a scary sleep hollerer. I don't like the options.

So last night I busted her. We're dead asleep when she barked in her sleep first and then let out that awful, awful yell. The bark woke me up so that I could fully experience the yell. The wailing woman is Mavie. It is such a womanly human wail/yell that it doesn't seem remotely possible that it could come out of a dog let alone little Mavie. All I have to say is "Phewwww". I am so glad there isn't some strange thing following me around and I am equally as glad that I don't just uncontrollably holler in my sleep. Just thought I would share this entertaining (for most) experience.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I will say this is one of my favorite posts that you had. I laughed just as hard the second time that I did the first time.