I always love good book recommendations from friends. Before my travels last month, I took to facebook to get the masses' opinions on what some good reads have been in the last year and a half. I have not touched a book in that time period due to having a store and a toddler and whatnot, so I am really out of the loop. Not to mention our bookstore in town closed so there hasn't been any book browsing taking place either.
Here is the stack of books that I picked up from the public library and a friend's library before I hit the road.
There are books here that I would not on my own choosing have necessarily picked up but I did want to broaden my reading scope a bit, so I took some risks here. I'll give you my brief opinion about each and then you can decide for yourself whether or not you would like to read them for yourself. :)
About A Boy: probably my least favorite of the bunch. It moved rather slowly and had a depressive tone throughout. The content/topic was interesting enough. I hear the movie is really good, but I have not viewed it.
Summer Kitchen: A little slow moving but I liked that the topic was different than anything else I had read. It is set in a decaying neighborhood that was once a vibrant fun place to live. You get to see inside the lives of the people that now live in these neighborhoods. They are the ones that struggle to eat everyday, stay safe everyday, and have much opportunity to get beyond their circumstances. I always enjoy getting a different perspective on the lives of people.
The Story of A Beautiful Girl: I really liked this one! Talk about another perspective the lives of people and times. This story revolves around a mentally handicapped person in the times when they were institutionalized and treated mostly like non-humans. It's a story of survival and one of change as it was made known what the conditions were like. So very interesting!
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane: I was most skeptical about this one, but also most intrigued. It follows a grad student who somewhat stumbles upon her research topic accidentally. Deliverance Dane, a "witch" from the Salem 1682 era of witchcraft scares, trials, and executions. The book bounces back and forth between the grad student in the 90's and the history she is discovering to Marblehead, Mass in the late 1600's when the witchcraft business was at it's height. Super interesting.
The House at Riverton: Just started this one and I am enjoying it so far. This one is another look into a different time and socio-economic status. This one follows a 98 year old woman from Britain, who when she was 14 worked on the service staff of The House of Riverton. Some not-talked about events occurred while she worked there so the story is going to unfold as she is recalling her life there in the time of Lords and Ladys, British Aristocracy. I can't wait to get back to the book!
Weird Sisters: Not my favorite. It's super slow moving story of 3 sisters figuring out life as they all come home to help with their mother who has cancer. Weird doesn't really mean they're weird as it is referring to Shakespear and the meaning of weird is fate. Fate sisters.
Sun Stand Still: I have yet to read. I know! It's been on my list. Ryan took it so it vanished from my pile...that's my only excuse.
Not included in this pile but also borrowed are:
The Penderwicks: great children's novel. Fast read. It's a fun and lighthearted tale of 4 sister's summering with their dad in the cottage in the back of a grand estate.
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand: I've started it but it was moving a tad slow so it didn't make the trip list. I'll get back to it once I've finished The House at Riverton. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment