Our weekend away in Wichita was such a breath of fresh air for me anyway. Miss Laura, one of our traveling companions/adventure compadres, came with us as we were headed to the Wichita area for the wedding of our good friend, Mike...who also happens to be another one of our traveling companions/adventure compadres. The wedding was so nice. There were some extremely funny parts though which had me hoping that the video camera recording the wedding was no where near us. We were seated in the very back of the sanctuary where we could see everyone who arrived late. So a very tall, attractive looking bald man walked in a little late, we of course all looked over, like you do, and he gave Ryan a very emphatic wink. Ryan looked at us and asked, "Did he just wink at me?!" We all lost it. Then the guy on the other side of Jason kept getting out his flask taking swigs throughout the ceremony. Then the preacher called Liz, Sarah...which is her sister. Liz had a great reaction. That all happened in 16 minutes b/c that's how long the ceremony was. Anyway, I believe we were the annoying kids in the back who giggled a lot.
Here are some of the things that I realized during this trip:
*I really like Wichita! It's like a small town that got big. It's a town that takes pride in itself by keeping the city (at least the parts that I was in) clean. They have lots of pretty potted plants, restaurants with clean outdoor seating, lots of fun water features like ponds and fountains with walkways. I was re-energized by an area that cares to look its best.
*I like having quick access to the stores and shops that I like to shop in...department stores, a good Banana, books stores, jewelry and handbags, and of course, shoe stores. Not that I want to spend all day everyday shopping (b/c then Hudson would have to start paying me to stay home with him), but these are all places that I can just meander through, finding inspiration, energy, and refreshment for my well-being, my creative side, my sanity. Ryan and I were talking about this and remembering when we lived in the mountains of Colorado, which we loved, but on the occasion that we would head over the mountains to Denver, I would come alive at the sight of "real stores". He thinks I'm a big city girl at heart...I CONCUR.
*I need a break from the routine. Heading out of town for the weekend was a much needed break from a very, very consistent daily routine. Ryan thrives on routine. He is a very content individual which is sort of how I see a lot of KS people to be. He's a KS boy at heart. Routine with no break for something new, different, and unexpected sucks the life out of me.
Hudson had a few new experiences this weekend. He stayed at his first hotel, took a dip in the pool, took a shower, and hung out with his friend Will and Will's Grandma and got to play with all of Will's toys. I'm so thankful for Michelle's mom watching Hudson. It took all the stress of leaving him with someone I had never met right out the window. I only had Michelle check with her mom 8 times...not really, only once. But it helped that her mom kept sending updates and pics of them all night. :)
It was so fun to spend time with Laura, who also loves a McChicken sandwich, laugh with friends at Mike's wedding, visit my favorite Wichita shops and restaurants, and stay in a nice hotel for a much needed weekend away. Thank you Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Loved hearing your reflections about yourself! And I just cracked up out loud picturing you all laughing at the wedding.
Erika
It was a great weekend and I love your reflections from the weekend. Thanks for sharing the weekend with me.
Post a Comment