Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wildlife

Our house backs up to an open area. It is a bit of a hill with grass, trees, and rocks. So I have been hoping to see some sort of wildlife over there since we moved in. I do like to admire wildlife from afar, just not when it is smacking itself up against my window (frog), climbing in my window (raccoon), flying through my pedals (birds), attacking my grandma (rooster), running in and out of the room under the door (mouse), jumping in front of my car (pheasant and deer), snoring in my wall (mouse), hauling their kill off right in front of me (seriously ugly badger), passing by while I'm on a walk (skunk) and I'm sure there are more that I am just not thinking of right now. Anywho, I still have not seen any wildlife back there but we certainly heard them last night. There was a pack of coyotes back there. They were set off by some sirens that went by. They started howling and then barking. I had never heard a coyote bark. Ryan grabbed the flashlight and went out on the deck to see if he could see them. All the while I'm inside hollering, "can you see anything?". I probably sent them into hiding. They were loud and obviously very close to the house. I looked up a picture of them and they look just like a dog but with a full fuzzy tail like a fox and big ears. It's like a cross between a fox and a wolf. Well anyway, I'm not going to be letting Maverick outside in the back at night...ever.

3 comments:

Laura said...

So I honestly laughed when i remembered the mouse snoring in your wall. We had cyotes living in the woods behind our house growing up. they would howl all night as we had sirens all the time going to the hospital.

tiff said...

It's true...a snoring mouse. I'd pound on the wall and I'd hear him run away.

Ryan said...

What about the rabbit in the Kearney house? Wait...who did that?