Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Monday Moments



Monday the sun was SHINING so we got up and headed out the door to Green Lake in Seattle. I had walked around part of the lake one crazy day in September when I was somewhere around mile 47 out of 60. This looked like such a fun area that I knew I wanted to return and take in the experience at a more leisurely pace and really enjoy the walk. So that is what we did. It is a 2.8 mile trail around the lake and home to cyclists, roller bladers, walkers and runners. This day was an especially busy day with many a Stay-at-home Mom out with her friends pushing their strollers. There were also a lot of folks walking their pups. One dog jumped into the lake without talking with his mama first and she was having a heck of a time fishing him back out of the lake and up the bank. We strolled through the park at a "comfortable" pace. (Ryan gets irritated when we walk at an uncomfortably fast pace and Monday's of togetherness are not the time to irritate one said husband.) :) Then we stopped at a wonderful little place on the park for lunch and had some darn good clam chowder and salads (and bread). It was all so delightful! Loved it, loved it.




THEN...we ventured on into Seattle to check out a couple stores and not really to my surprise, Christmas was already in abundance down there. Now, I LOVE Christmas more than the next guy, but I was really turned off by it all. People, it is not as special if you start the festivities in October! Back off silly retailers and let us enjoy Fall and Thanksgiving, for my aunt pete's sake. Even at my beloved Banana, the decorations were up and the Christmas music was playing. So disappointing. But, there was a glimmer of hope...I passed the Nordstrom Flagship Store and the BIG signs in the windows stated that they believe in celebrating one holiday at a time and their Christmas decorations would not be going up until after Thanksgiving! Bravo Nordy!! I always knew I liked you. Maybe some other of those Christmas Exhausters will take note and follow suit.

I am very excited for Thanksgiving. I haven't cooked Thanksgiving Day dinner in over 5 years and that time was my first way back when we lived in a one bedroom apartment in Wichita...wait a minute, I'm back in a one bedroom...how far we've come. This year Ryan and I will be preparing a small and quaint dinner while watching the Macy's Day Parade, followed by a Classen Family Tradition of heading out to the movies! I think we will be going to see Four Christmases with Miss Reese. The day should be charming, fun, and relaxing! And probably filling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that Thanksgiving Dinner 5 years ago. Excellent in all ways - food, company, and decor!

Laura said...

I agree, proud of Nordy's for holding out on the Christmas decorations.

Erika said...

Way to go Nordy's! Your outing sounds wonderful!!

tiff said...

I'm going to cook my turkey for at least 11 hours again...I remember it being really good. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

What about the Peters family tradition....watch football and eat til you puke?

tiff said...

oh, there will be puking. I just didn't think it was blog worthy. :)